This is a soft brioche dough filled with our Raspberry & Lavender Homemade Jam decorated with crushed Pistachio nuts to make it even more Christmassy! This gorgeous edible wreath will definitely impress your loved ones this festive season!!
375g all-purpose flour or white bread flour (plus more for dusting)
165ml lukewarm milk
115g butter or margarine at room temperature
1 tablespoon instant dry yeast
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
For the Filling:
Hitchin Lavender & Raspberry Jam 200g
2 tablespoons water
Crushed Pistachio nuts
- Add the butter, sugar, flour, yeast, spices, salt and the lukewarm milk in a large bowl and mix well to combine all the ingredients. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes or until the dough becomes smooth. If the dough doesn’t come together then add one tablespoon at a time of milk until it does. The dough should be smooth, slightly sticky and elastic.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover it with a clean tea towel. Place the bowl in a warm place for at least 1 hour or until the dough doubles in size. Alternately, instead of setting aside at room temperature to proof, place the bowl in the fridge overnight covered in cling wrap or Hitchin Lavender Beeswax. By the following day, the dough will have doubled in size and will be ready to roll.
- Dust your work surface and rolling pin and roll the dough out into a rectangle approx 25cm x 50cm.
- Spread the Hitchin Lavender Raspberry & Lavender Jam onto the dough!
- Starting from one of the long sides, gently roll the dough tightly until it is one long sausage. Trim the ends to neaten it up.
6. Using a sharp knife, cut the rolled dough in half lengthways. Turn the cut sides to face upwards, join the top of the 2 pieces together and carefully twirl the two halves together.
7. Gently place the twisted dough into a lined baking tray forming a circle/wreath. Stick the two ends together.
8. Cover the wreath with cling wrap or Hitchin Lavender Beeswax and set aside for an extra 1 hour to rise a bit more in a warm place.
9. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees (350 F).
10. Bake the Lavender & Raspberry Wreath for around 30 minutes or until golden brown. If the dough starts to look too golden before it has finished baking, then place foil over and continue to bake until it is cooked. The baking time will depend on the thickness of the wreath!
11. Remove from the oven and while still warm, decorate the wreath with sugar glaze and sprinkle on the crushed pistachios.
For the sugar glaze:
Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Drizzle the sugar glaze over the wreath or with a help of a brush, apply the sugar glaze over it.
12. Lastly eat and enjoy!
Hitchin Lavender Team